.st0{fill:#FFFFFF;}

 May 12, 2021

By  Annabelle

Idea

At the start of the game, you become conscious in a cell and you come to the realisation that you have been captured and put into a mental asylum because of the sins you have committed in your lifetime. When playing the game, you walk around a creepy hallway within the asylum while viewing all the objects that are scattered around the hallway. The objects you will come across are a rocking chair, normal chair, and bed. As you exit the cell you become conscious and start to explore the hallway. In the asylum, you can see the cells that are being used by other mental patients. These cells will be off limit since the doors will be shut and locked. As you walk down the hallway you are greeted with an eerie atmosphere as you roam the mental asylum alone. You may also be startled by the dust particles and the creaky floorboards which occur throughout the hallway of the asylum.

Developing ideas

To help us with creating this whole idea we created mood boards to allow us to decide what theme we wanted our tunnel to have. A mood board tends to be the go to method of creating and developing ideas. Mood boards are helpful at identifying the key theme or feeling you want to go for. After consideration of everyone's mood boards we all collectively decided on the asylum idea for our tunnel. We thought about what things we would need to include in order to make it obvious that you are wondering through a mental asylum. This is how we then collected together all the assets we would need to make. Here is the mood board Tyler made:

Beginning the creation of our game

In order for us to make a start, each of us assigned ourselves the task of making a certain asset that would be placed within the hallway. The assets we ended up creating were a rocking chair, normal chair, bed, notice board, and book. Here are the images of the assets we made:

Materials and textures

When deciding what materials we would need, we thought about each aspect of our project. We collected up all the objects we were planning to place in our hallway and what other areas would need a texture. Everyone took photos of wood so that we could apply a wooden texture to all our assets in blender.

We took our own photos so that we could make our own textures from scratch. This would demonstrate a higher skill level. By taking lots of images, we were given lots to choose from. Here are the photos each of us provided:

This image was used for the ceiling of the building:

Showing development of the process

Everyone assigned themselves a role. Jack worked in Unity making the asylum, AJ and Tyler worked in blender creating assets and I worked on the Game Design Document.

It's important to make note and take screenshots of the process so we can see the improvements. This works as great evidence and shows all stages of the project clearly. These images show the development stages of the asylum in Unity:

Reflection Of The Project

During this whole experience, I was able to develop good communication skills with my group which lead to us working generally quite well with each other. The one issue we came across was making sure that we all equally participated in the process. At first I did find that Jack took over too much and was doing most of the project himself. This included things like creating ideas, working in Unity, and Blender. This was entirely because the group didn’t speak up enough to begin with, and we all just allowed Jack to direct us to what we should be doing. We all realised this was a problem and worked hard to ensure that each person always had something to do. This was something we got into the habit of doing at the beginning of each session. It didn’t take long until, in my opinion, my group communicated very well and we always made sure that each person had a role.

I feel like I could have definitely had a bigger part in this project. However this was difficult due to the fact that I struggle when using Blender. After attempting to make two simple assets in Blender, I decided to let the rest of my group complete that aspect of the project. During the last two days of the project, I knew that it was best for me to create the game design document. I took the piece of writing that AJ had written and improved it. Once I had done this, I went through the check list and added everything that was needed. I included as many screenshots as possible and typed up explanations to support them. So in the end, everyone else in my group took on the roles of working in Unity and Blender, while I created the game design document. I certainly could have done more based on my abilities. Even though I do struggle with learning and working in softwares, I believe I could have participated in the making of the ideas as that is something I think I am quite good at.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Recieve Weekly Post Updates by Subscribing now!

>