We started by putting up the lights. I struggled with this at first as I found it hard to work out what part of the equipment did what and I think I worried too much about being too harsh with the equipment and breaking it. I made sure to tighten the screws that hold the lights in place as tight as possible to ensure they didn't budge. I had heard from other groups that there was an issue with the lights being too loose. This showed how hard it is to understand how tight the screws are. This is what the light looked like including the the stand.
We experimented by changing the brightness of the lights. Here you can see the noticable difference between a high brightness and having a dimmer light.
Filters like this, which are basically just like parment paper you cook with, make the light less harsh and much more natural. There was a big improvemt with the lighting and how it looked on camera.
These images show the set up/arrangement of the three lights. In the first image, you can see the key light to the left of the image. This light is in front of the scene. In the second image, you can see the fill light. This light sits to the right of the scene and takes away any shadows formed by the key light. To the right of the first image, you can see the back light. This light brightens the background and takes away the harsh contrastfrom the subject and background.
We also had a lot of fun playing with coloured filters which can create moody lighting. You can make a certain mood or look to the image or film based on the choice of colour.
Here, we decided to add two colours just as an experiment. It didn't have much effect to the overall scene but looked interesting close up.